Thursday, 19 July 2007

Oops, I've said too much...

Mrs M and Toby had interesting posts about the worst moments of their lives. I've been thinking about my 10 worst moments. As soon as I have thought of all 10 I will do a post. In the mean time, though, I was thinking about how some encounters with me might constitute as someone else's worst moment...

I was thinking of one in particular. Last year before our wedding I went to visit my folks (one last time together as a family before I cleave my own), and was spending some time with my sister. I'm not sure what it's like in other traditions, but in ours a kitchen tea is something that is supposed to be a big surprise for the bride-to-be. I had no clue whatsoever that they were planning a kitchen tea for me down in CT (OK, OK, the thought had crossed my mind. But only briefly).

A friend of my sister's had come to pick up something and was talking to me about the wedding etc. Then (obviously without thinking) she said:
"Oh and it's your kitchen tea tonight!"
We stood there in a stunned silence. It was kind of in slow motion. I can't even remember who spoke first. We were all horrified. Me because I didn't actually want to know about my "surprise" kitchen tea; my sister because she had taken so much care to plan it without me suspecting a thing; and most of all the friend, because she had just spoilt it for everyone. I remember laughing a lot, as there was really nothing else to do. The friend felt SO TERRIBLE. She apologised over and over and over again. She really was so sorry.

In the end it turned out fine - we all forgave her and I had a wonderful kitchen tea (I was still mildly surprised, as by 8 pm that evening when the kitchen tea hadn't happened yet, I was sure I must have heard wrong and beginning to wonder if it was all set up to get me off the trail).

Then, unbelievably, the same thing happened when my mom-in-law organised a kitchen tea for me in Joburg a few weeks later. A friend of hers also let slip the date while I was standing right there.

I can't really remember ever saying anything I shouldn't have. Once I let slip that a guy I knew smokes to some of his friends that didn't know. But they would have found out sooner or later anyway.

A friend once had a crush on this guy and he had just phoned her. She was so excited that she sent me a message. Something like this: "You won't believe who just phoned! Oh my goodness, how exciting. He has such a sexy voice!" etc etc. Then (drum roll) she sent it to HIM by mistake! She phoned me in hysterics.

Have you ever said too much by mistake?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

urgh...
I can't even remember there were so many!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! Oh shame man...I really laughed at your poor friend. That must have been extremely embarresing.

It's too bad that you didn't get a surprise kitchen tea - but it sounds like you had a good time regardless?

St John's/Bethlehem said...

In a way I'm glad they weren't surprise kitchen teas cause I'm not really one for the limelight - this gave me some time to prepare myself mentally :-)