Friday, 06 July 2007

Library launch

An amount of insincerity is necessary in society. Imagine everyone would do and say what they wanted at any time. There would be chaos. But just because I understand it doesn't change the fact that I sometimes cringe at the utter insincerity of some things. Having to endure another boring function today - a library launch - was a great example of this. I didn't think that anything could be more boring than the function I attended on Wednesday, but it seems I was wrong. It should be criminal for a bunch of people to be so passionate about libraries (sorry mom). One very important lady in the Library world in SA spoke for a whole hour about the history of the library society.

*FAINT*

Half the speech was about how uninvolved the libraries are in the society and that they should get their act together. This was only one of the many speeches we had to endure. I'm sure this is all very interesting to those in the library industry, but not for us... The municipality representative looked almost as bored as I was, and this reflected in the way he laboured through his address - he did very badly at hiding this boredom as he said: "I am so thrilled to be here at this auspicious occasion". I don't think anyone believed him.

During the hour long address of the main speaker, many people unashamedly got up and walked out, depleting the already half-empty hall even further. With baited breathe we all waited for the "Librarian of the year" award to be bestowed on one dedicated candidate. This included a dramatic pause before the announcement that only "Strictly Come Dancing" presenters could ever rival.

At the end of this long and sordid affair, we heard a thank you address of another (at least) 15 minutes. All the speakers were thanked for their inspirational, moving and interesting words. HA! People walked out during their speeches for crying out loud! Such blatant insincerity. Just to be nice and polite and all that.
It really doesn't become me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You nicely summed up the issue. I would add that this doesn’t exactly concenplate often. xD Anyway, good post…