Tuesday, 24 July 2007

I'm right

I'm not one of those people who needs to be right all the time. But I can't stand it when I KNOW I have said something and people contradict me outright. When we source books from another branch, there is always a courier fee involved. I make sure that I inform the customer of this, and get here consent. I remember a particular case where a customer was desperate for the book. I suggested us ordering the book directly from the publishers (which would take 2 weeks) but he said he needs it desperately. The only alternative is sourcing it from another branch. I told him about the courier fee and he said it was OK, he would pay anything as he needs the book urgently. I phoned 3 branches before I finally got lucky at a branch in Joburg.

So today he comes in and wants the book. When my colleague T wants to charge him the courier fee, he puts up a fight. T calls me and the customer says that I never told him about the courier fee. But now it's my word against his. I try to remind him, as politely as possible, how the situation played out, but he just won't hear it. In the end I give in and he doesn't have to pay extra. It's just so unfair though! I know what I said! I just don't have proof. And of course: the customer is always right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should make those customers sign an agreement to pay the courier fee, that way you have proof to show them if they complain!!! I can't believe people can be so petty, they wanted the book, its not like you didn't tell them and you would not make something like that up!!! But the customer is always right... Wish they wouldn't take advantage of it!!!

LT said...

being in the U.S has taught me (sadly) no matter what the situation, get it in writing!