Wednesday, 04 July 2007

Food makes up for it

Food makes up for it, regardless of how crap a situation is. That's my opinion anyway. Went to another dull book launch in Durbs today. I knew the day was gonna be a good one (food-wise) when my manager offered me biltong at 9:08 this morning, and I greedily accepted. We were welcomed at the book launch with a wonderful cup of tea and a scone with jam and cream (delish).

I was just getting excited about the prospect of an interesting morning, shoving my free sling-book-bag with freebies under the table when the national manager's "short" speech dragged on like old chewing gum. This was the start of 3 whole hours of mind-numbingly boring information about books that target those outside of our target market. The so-called orange juice was disgustingly sweet and even the endearmints on the table only kept me occupied for so long.

It was really turning out to be painful. We were thanked at the end of the 3 hours by a rep who "couldn't find the words to thank us enough". I know she was just sucking up to us because she wanted our business, but it was nevertheless nice to pretend to be appreciated for enduring 3 hours of extreme boredom. And then only because we knew there was a hearty lunch waiting for us.

And was it hearty. They had everything from macaroni cheese, to briyani, chicken, roast pork, potatoes, fish, stew, curry, creamed spinach, butternut, gravy, all different kinds of salads, and free drinks at the bar. As we sat their enjoying our meal in silence, I clean forgot about the preceding 3 hours of pain, but was instead in food heaven. To end off a wonderful meal I had some deliciously creamy chocolate mousse and fruit salad with ice cream.

Ah. Food makes up for anything.

No comments: