Tuesday, 17 July 2007

Cranky Gnome

I don't recall having written a single blog about one of my bad moods. Or if I did, I always ended it with something positive; a sort of excuse for feeling the way I did. Well not today. The day has finally come for me to moan without restraint.

Instead of starting with "I don't really have a reason to feel terrible today", I am simply going to say: I feel terrible today. And for good reason.

I spent the morning running the shop literally by myself, since all other staff (except me and another guy - I'll call him A) were in Durban to have a meeting with the big bosses of the company. A loves (more like is obsessed with) reading stories on the Internet - specifically wide varieties of Harry Potter stories written by some unknowns. Due to this obsession he gets to sit right at the back of the shop - oblivious to all the happenings in front. Apart from having a ton of price changes today, I had to serve customers and answer the phone, while A fed his addiction. It's just my luck that today of all days would be a really busy morning.

Eventually the others come back from Durbs. Which leaves me to drive to Durban with my favourite colleague, A, to meet the big bosses. The sun is shining warmly into the window as we take the nearly hour-long trip, and it makes me so sleepy. As we arrive in Durban, we have a whole hour presentation on the company's new developments. A lot of the presentation is about the bonuses and wage increases received by what seems like all employees except me, since I "haven't been working for them long enough". A good enough reason to feel crap, especially since saving up for a simple thing such as replacing the tyres on the car is proving virtually impossible on my measly salary. A bonus or even an increase would have greatly improved our chances of having this done.

Sitting through the presentation has made me even more sleepy, not counting the whole trip back in the warm car. The trip is so long I have time to brood about our dismal financial situation and just generally my lack of purpose and our very uncertain future. Same old same old - I know!! But it keeps coming back for a reason...

As soon as I arrive I realise that my other colleagues are in high spirits and worse still - in a mood to tease. Arg. I'm hearing horse-like giggles every few seconds and it's driving me up the wall.

And then I become aware of a pain in my tummy and I realise that all I've eaten today is 2 bananas and an apple (since I had to give up my lunch break to go to Durban), and the time is sitting at 15:30. All I want to do is go home and eat and sleep.

I feel terrible and I am NOT going to make excuses for it.

5 comments:

LT said...

I'm so proud of you!!!

Complain away!!!

Unknown said...

*Hands Gnome a basketful of goodies*
Gnome...you have the right to feel crap today, we all have a right to feel crap for at least five days in the month, I say...and yes, like LT we are all helluva proud of you, this is not going to be forever,you have this immeasurable faith (which shows cos you hardly complain) and then you realise you can be human too!
I love you for it...

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Thanks so much LT and Mrs M. I'm almost irritated that Home Affairs sent me that message today. Now it's spoilt my clearly terrible day with some good news :-)

LT said...

hehe.

Well the day isn't over yet, you might just get lucky again :-P

Anonymous said...

Those bad mood days are just the worst! They have a way of creeping into your life when you just don't need them!