Thursday, 19 July 2007

Lie detector

Do you really think that these lie detector tests are accurate? I think Ricki Lake has them doctored so she has an exciting show (I only watch Ricki in dark times like these).
"When asked whether you had any sexual relations with person X in the past 6 months, you said no. The lie detector shows: you lied."
Gee whizz. If you're resorting to lie detector tests to see if your partner has cheated, I'm sorry to tell you, but there's no saving your relationship.

That's beside the point though. I remember doing an assignment in my Honours year on the accuracy of lie detector tests. It's apparently really easy to beat them. I think I'd fail dismally cause I'd be so anxious to speak the truth that I'll have heart palpitations, dilated pupils, sweating etc, and the machine would say I'm lying. And doesn't the machine go on the assumption that people feel something when they lie? Compulsive liars don't feel a thing. In fact they often believe the lies that they've made up. There's a reason why lie detector results aren't accepted in a court of law. Ricki only does it for the sensation.

No comments: