Wednesday, 22 August 2007

Zim revisited

I know I might be sounding redundant about this Zim issue, but I'm getting so sick of it falling on deaf ears.

Yesterday as my husband and I were approaching our house after a run, we spotted a guy who had studied with my husband in previous years (and had lectured me last year). We were really surprised to see him: he had left SA last year with his family to be a pastor in a congregation in Zimbabwe. This man is just so full of life, laughs and love for people. Even though he was smiling and laughing when we saw him, I could see he was strained.

He is here to drop off his wife and children, he told us. Then he would go back to Zim by himself. Another friend we know, who too is in Zim as a pastor, has sent his Norwegian wife and their child back home.

"The country in unlivable" our friend told us.

Unlivable.

And SADC leaders sit by and say that the Zim crisis has been exaggerated. They applaud Mugabe as if he's a hero. WHAT is going on here? What has this evil man done to manipulate these leaders over to his side? Anyone with 2 brain cells* can see that he is making a colossal mess of Zim.

We are worried about both our friends. Especially because they are not likely to keep quiet about the injustices going on. Who knows what could happen to them if they (too publicly) denounce the government.

Before we parted, our friend said: "The only way things will get better is if blood is spilt".

I think he's right.

All of you out there who believe in prayer: please pray.

*Perhaps I am giving SADC leaders too much credit by claiming that they have at least 2 brain cells.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart shatters every time I read a personal account of what's happening on the other side of the fence.

I can't believe the people who depended on international countries to stop apartheid is now doing nothing to stop the massacre on the other side of the border.

All those who helped SA to freedom must be wondering why SA won't help Zimbabwe to freedom.

It is so sad that Mbeki's pride prevents him from stopping a bad leader simply because he's black.

LT said...

The U.S. won't help either, because this president only helps those who can help him. Zim has nothing the U.S. wants or needs.

How pathetic is that?

St John's/Bethlehem said...

So true Toby. I think he also feels guilty about saying anything because Zim helped us fight apartheid. But is popularity and loyalty more important than saving starving people? He's turning a blind eye on purpose. They are all in DENIAL.
I know LT. It's just sickening. Can't anyone in power do anything for the greater good anymore? Without any returns...?!

Anonymous said...

IT FEELS LIKE EVERYBODY SAYS SUCH BAD THINGS ABOUT ZIM, BUT NOBODY HAS THE COURAGE TO REALLY DO SOMETHING! I KNOW THAT THABO MBEKI IS THE BIGGEST COWARD AND IT REFLECTS BADLY ON OUR COUNTRY! ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES WILL LOOK AT THE ACTIONS OF OUR PRESIDENT AND JUDGE US ACCORDINGLY, EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE MILLIONS OF SOUTH AFRICANS THAT WISH THEY COULD DO SOMETHING TO CHANGE THE HORRIBLE SITUATION THAT IS ZIM AND TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH OUR PRESIDENT'S ATTITUDE! HOW LONG CAN A DICTATOR BE ALLOWED TO RUIN MILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLES' LIVES? SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING, OR ARE ALL THE WORLD LEADERS JUST COWARDS LIKE MBEKI! BUT IF THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN, HOW MANY WORLD LEADERS WILL REALLY ACT? NO GAIN, NO PAIN IS THAT HOW IT IS? WAKE UP AND SMELL THE STINKING MESS THAT IS ROBERT MUGABE AND ZIM!!!

St John's/Bethlehem said...

This is exactly the frustrating thing, B. We can all scream, complain and blog til we're blue in the face, but the only power we have to make a difference in Zim is prayer. You're so right - we as SAs are looking like the idiots here, even though we don't even endorse the pres' stance. I'm afraid, as horrible as it sounds, no gain no pain is exactly how it is.
*SIGH*

LT said...

Well Gnome, you are a better writer than I am, write a letter explaining what is really going on in Zim and what should happen.

I will then send it to congress here and see what happens.

*note... I will be taking credit for your letter though :-p but it's the outcome that matters right :-)

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Are you serious LT? Cause I will so do it! I don't even mind if you take credit! :-)