Tuesday, 21 August 2007

Privacy, please

I've always been a reasonably private person. It's not that I don't tell people anything - very close friends do get to listen to some of Days of Gnome's Life. I'm not the I'll-never-have-a-Facebook-profile-cause-I-don't-want-the-world-to-see-me kind of person. I'm just an unless-I-know-you're-really-interested-and-care-about-me-otherwise-I-won't-tell-you-anything-of-substance kind of person. I think I'm pretty good at holding my own in a friendship without getting too personal about myself. The only one who ever knows what's really going on in my head and heart is my husband (and God no doubt).

I have recently been broadening my blog-reading horizons. I have been reading a lot of So Close. Incidentally it won the Best SA Blog 2007, and the best writing on a SA blog in 2007. I'm not surprised. Tertia writes really well and it keeps you reading.

I'm starting to wonder why. I mean, writing style and fame (she published a book about infertility) can really only get you that far. WHAT you write about is really the most important thing.

And Tertia writes about herself.

Don't get me wrong, I also write about myself. That's why we have blogs - so we can write what we like and not feel bad if we write about ourselves.

But, unlike Tertia, I am not one to splash my life all over the Internet. I mean - I would never ever write about our sex life, arguments I'm having with my husband, deep hurts from my past, or post pictures of my bum on here.

And that's probably why my blog will never be as popular as hers.

But what does that say about us as people though? Are we all voyeurs? Do we enjoy taking a peek into someone else's intimate lives?

I think we do.

Is Tertia (and others like her) really brave to write without reservation, and risk criticism and comments about her really personal, intimate details, or is she just being stupid by being so vulnerable?

I guess it's her choice. If she makes the choice to expose herself like that, she shouldn't be surprised when hurtful comments and criticisms come her way.

*Gnome has made the decision to avoid this altogether*

2 comments:

LT said...

I know what you mean, I guess it's her therapy and by putting it all out there it really helps here to cope with what she deals with, without having to say it to someones face.

(does that make sense?)

I have personal things on mine, but not completely-out-there-so-you-can-find-me personal.

I have a link on my blog to Postsecret, I LOVE that site, people post their most personal feelings anonymously. So I they get a load off their chest without exposing themselves completely.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Each to their own I guess :-) Will have to check out post secret! Thanks LT.