Wednesday, 15 August 2007

Maths

The last time I did any proper maths was in High School. I did some (rather enjoyable) stats in my studies, but it was never like the maths I did at school. I was glad to leave that behind after the jubilation-evoking 50-odd percent I got in my matric exams (I was just glad to pass the damn subject). So I was rather surprised when my manager asked me for my help with some maths problems (for her studies) yesterday.

Somewhere in the old rusty maths section of my brain I hauled out knowledge of fractions, BODMAS and indices.

Today we spent a good half an hour going through some more problems. Somewhere along the line, my teachers must have done something right. I was really chuffed at how much I could still do. BODMAS especially just seems to come naturally, like it was always there. Even though maths was my worst subject, I still seem to have the basics in place.

It's like riding a bicycle...

1 comment:

LT said...

This is definitely a bicycle I never learned how to ride!!!

I'm useless at algebra etc, now banking and finance etc, that I can do, otherwise...

USELESS!!!