Tuesday, 14 August 2007

Uninvited

I love braais. I love the atmosphere, the food, the (usually) good company. I love sitting by the fire, talking nonsense and waiting patiently for the food. I love drinking a glass (or two) of delicious wine. It encourages an atmosphere of relaxation.

This past weekend we had a marvellous braai. We went off into nature, and braaied from the early afternoon until way after dark. In my eagerness to have a relaxed time, I consumed one too many glasses of wine. I wasn't wasted, just a little tipsy.

When finally the food was ready, I wolfed it down. It was so delicious (and add the fact that I was rather relaxed from the wine), that I didn't even notice that I bit the inside of the lip. It was only when the effects of the evening had worn off rather unceremoniously that I discovered this unfortunate wound.

Now, three days later, it is still there. It has turned into a painful ulcer that just doesn't want to go away. I am reminded constantly (especially when I eat something) of the price I paid for delicious food and (a little) too much wine...

No comments: