Friday, 31 August 2007

Losses

Today is someone’s birthday. Someone I care for a lot. Or cared for, at one stage.

We have many friends that come and go in our lives, but only one or two are really really good friends. I mean, a stay-up-with-you-while-you-cry kind of friend. A friend that will go to the 24 hour garage and buy chocolate for you in her PJs at 3 in the morning, and then eat it with you while listening to you moping and being depressed about a guy (that she doesn’t even like). A friend that will drop everything to be there for you, a friend that will help you finish your varsity assignment (even if it means staying up until the early hours of the morning), a friend that understands how you feel, a friend that really listens to you, a friend that knows all the skeletons in your closet and loves you still, a friend that really wants to know what’s happening in your life (from the big stuff to the really insignificant things), a friend that makes you laugh until your tummy hurts, a friend that laughs when you fart and doesn’t get embarrassed, a friend you can pee in front of…

I think you know what I mean. Either you are lucky enough to have someone like that, or you long for someone…

I used to have a friend like that. But in one fateful weekend it all went up in smoke. It all went pear-shaped when I didn’t really approve of the guy that she was with. A master manipulator. I hadn’t seen her for months, and was looking forward to an extended nightly chat about what we had gone through in the past few months, but he somehow convinced her not to spend any alone-time with me. They actually even went off to the pub the day we arrived – leaving us to “recover from the long trip”. The whole weekend we felt so out of place – it was like she was a different person. I finally plucked up the courage to put these things down in an email after we had left, and her response was devastating. Instead of trying to see the value of what I had written, she attacked me verbally, using all my deepest hurts that I had trusted her with against me. She said I was wallowing in self-pity, and that I was ungrateful, and loved to be friends with “problem cases”.

I was reeling. This friendship of over 5 years that I thought could withstand anything (we had been through a lot together; we had even lived together), crumbled in one weekend, because of a guy that she had known for 3 months. In the mean time she has married this guy. Our friendship has been over for more than a year now, but still, not a day goes by where I don’t think of her. Despite the fact that she hurt me to my deepest core, I still miss her. Even on the best of days.

Happy birthday, H.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Gnome it is only a profound person who would find it in their heart to write this type of post. You have enough love in your life to say Happy Birthday to someone who's hurt you a great deal. TOday is (ironically) and ex of mine's bday.I wouldn't dream of writing anything about him, of course. And on the 22nd of September, Chantal'
s bday, I'll probably just carry on with the day like any other- even though I still remember it.
It's good to acknowledge losses, just like you did. It took a long time for me to make peace with it though.

LT said...

Let's hope one day she will come around and realize her mistake.

I have known you for about 13 years now!! How crazy is that?? We were never hang out all the time buddies, but later we started hanging out a lot and once I left the country I can really say, that I thought about you a lot, and I wondered what you were up to etc.

I would here passing comments from my parents what they heard from your mom... that's about all I had, and then finally I got hold of you and I can tell you, I really miss our little fun days we had, I still have a picture of us at a friends house and a couple of buds in hand haha

Point is I value your friendship and I really hope she realizes who you really are, because I don't think she REALLY got it.

Unknown said...

I agree. I think, possibly, she was pretending all the time.You are SO SO not anything close to what she said.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Thanks true friends, really appreciate your comments. You know Mrs M, I think she did know me at one stage, but it was just this manipulative guy that made her believe things about me that just weren't true. She was really brainwashed I think!

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Not trying to defend what she did - it was horrible - but I think it makes me better to feel know that she wasn't really in her right mind when she said those things...

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Gee whizz man I can't seem to spell anyway!! First of all, I know both LT and Mrs M said that she probably didn't know me (I do acknowledge you LT!), and 2ndly the 2nd comment should read: "it makes me feel better to know"... We've got stock take tomorrow and I've been counting stationery ALL DAY. Too bad comment section doesn't have spell check :-)

LT said...

hehe...

it's ok

Unknown said...

Uh, I think I totally missed 'something.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

What don't you understand Mrs M?