Wednesday, 29 August 2007

Social phobia

Before I met my husband, I thought I must be the only person on the planet that deliberately tries to avoid people in public places (mostly shopping centres), just to stay away from embarrassing one minute pointless conversations. Obviously I was wrong. Together, my husband and I go to great lengths to duck & dive in the aisles of Checkers (or whatever shop we are in at the time), intensely and animatedly discussing the pros and cons of oven baked chips, just to avoid being detected.

One unfortunate incident happened in the aisles of Pick 'n Pay. We hurried away from the clutches (and eyes) of an irritating fellow student, who just does not shut up (plus he has this annoying habit of bumming lifts off you at the most inconvenient times), but this hawk eye had seen us and finally tracked us down (he followed us all the way to the detergents aisle!), rudely interrupting our important dialogue about toilet cleaners.

Just yesterday, while shopping, my husband was caught off-guard by his (ex) landlord. I had thankfully gone looking for some juice, and when I saw (from a distance) what was happening, I spent the next 10 minutes closely investigating the frozen fish (found some good specials too).

And then today, a guy walked into the shop looking rather very much like a guy I once dated. I was in the back in a flash, carefully examining the books that had come in (turning them over and over in my hands), going to the bathroom to wash my hands (a few times), and looking at paperwork (that was not mine) just to avoid an awkward reunion*.

Sometimes it is unavoidable though. Often you see the familiar face too late, and you cannot run and hide. My husband and I then employ the "I'm in a hurry" tactic. Instead of stopping to say hello (and enduring the ensuing awkwardness), it is just much safer to acknowledge that you have seen the people, give a polite "hello" (and even a wave for effect), while still on the move. This seems to be the perfect strategy. You are not being rude to the people, yet at the same time you are avoiding any awkwardness.

I am just really grateful I have found someone that shares my dislike of awkward social interactions.

*I'm not even sure that it was him, but I definitely wasn't going to take a chance!

5 comments:

SheBee said...

I am so glad I read this! I thought I was alone in this.


hahhaha. We are such freaks!

St John's/Bethlehem said...

LOL. I always knew I wasn't quite normal..

LT said...

We do the same thing!!!!

You always feel bad once you're in it and struggle to get out of the conversation *sigh*

I feel your pain!!

Unknown said...

DO NOT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THIS. Sometimes, I can't remember if I like someone or not. I know I know...don't ask. And then I have to do a duck for that very reason.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

OK guys. It looks like we're either ALL crazy or just quite normal actually... :-)