Saturday, 11 August 2007

Inconvenient truths

Sometimes I surprise myself with my own naivety. I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Somewhere in my mind I still believe in honesty, and that the truth will be victorious in the end. I'm an idealist of the Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter kind - in my mind, love and friendship are the strongest forces that can defeat all evil in the end.

Maybe in the world beyond.

Reality on this earth is quite different.

The truth gets suppressed by powerful and evil people that get away with it. As you might have guessed from the heading, I have recently watched An Inconvenient Truth. For those who haven't seen it, or heard of it, it's about global warming. Al Gore gives a (sometimes rather emotional and political but mostly scientific) convincing account of the truth about global warming. Even though this is a widely publicised problem in the world, some countries still just don't get it.

I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that Pres Bush is ploughing billions and billions into war and ignoring the fact that the country he is trying so hard to make safe is under a much greater threat than he ever imagined. Makes me wonder how the world would have been different if Al Gore would have won the election...

But it's not only the global warming issue. It's politicians that blatantly lie about things. Statistics, motives, money... Whatever. Stuff that effects you and me. And what for? To protect the people? Their reputation? To cover up mistakes or get rich?

My naive mind is going into overdrive. I still just can't grasp and accept the fact that some powerful people are just all bad. Yet I get disappointed over and over and over again. Still I just won't learn.

Maybe this is one of my strengths though. The fact that I refuse to give up on people, and become negative. Regardless of how many times I get disappointed...

2 comments:

LT said...

The sad part is..

Al Gore did win the election!!

There were ALOT of ballots "mysteriously lost" during the election, thus giving Bush the victory count (the state in which ballots where lost....Florida.... Bush's brother's of course)

It's still a huge thing over here.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

I remember hearing something like that. At least Bush is nearly gone now... *Gnome sighs with relief*