Monday, 25 June 2007

Potential

Our cashier was out this morning, and it left me to deal with customers in the front. It didn't surprise me one bit that one of my professors from last year happened to waltz into the shop while I was in the front. He was just as surprised to see me working there.
"So you do a Masters degree and then you end up here? So you basically did a Masters degree for nothing?"
I was actually very embarrassed and could only mutter a "Pretty much, yes."
Does he really think I want to be here?
Later on however, when he asked me if I was happy with the job, and I said it wasn't really what I wanted to do, he said:
"No, no. This is not what you're supposed to be doing."
I was grateful that he said that. I sometimes get embarrassed when people see me at work. Because no matter how I look at it, this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have the potential for more than this. Much more.

4 comments:

LT said...

It's not even up for questioning!!!

Anyone that knows you, knows your potential.

From personality to brains, you definitely exceed in your packaging skills.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

:-) Thanks LT.

Unknown said...

Gnome,
You are destined for extraordinary things...I know that, and YOU know that (as you said on your blog).
DO NOT doubt this for ONE second,plus you have the most immense amount of faith in yourself (and others mind)...pretty soon, you'll look at now as a character-building experience...remember everything is a stepping stone toward something even better.
Speaking of which...I wasn't really destined to do what I'm doing either...you can always retire and just write me theses for the rest of my days! That was THE MOST BESTEST thing ever...oh and I showed everyone the 18 til you die cassette you made me! FANTASTIC MEMORIES!!!!Love you.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Yeah you're right Mrs M. It's just sometimes hard to accept that while you're in the situation. And as for the thesis - it was worth every minute I spent on it just to see your reaction! Love u too!