Monday, 18 June 2007

Comrades Madness

When you live in Pietermaritzburg there is really no excuse to miss the Comrades Marathon. We got up at 05:15, and traipsed to the roadside with a huge flask of hot chocolate. Seems kind of cruel to stand there sipping your hot chocolate while the runners are freezing, but it was their decision to run in the first place. We stood for nearly a whole hour waiting for all the runners to go past. As a runner I can appreciate and understand why people would do a race like this. Even though I will probably never be as fit (or crazy) to do the Comrades, I have done my share of 10kms and even did 2 half marathons. I can't describe the feeling of satisfaction and pride you feel after having completed one of those. Even though your feet and legs are sore and you're sweaty, you are just on such a high. Just imagine how you must feel after having run 89km! The ultimate human race. Wow. What an achievement; what a high. I really take my hat off to those who ran yesterday. I'm probably even a little jealous.

No comments: