Tuesday, 12 June 2007

Parktown prawn!

I hate insects. The reason I don't watch Fear Factor is because they inevitably have to eat insects, or lie in a glass tomb and get covered in crawling, wriggling insects. YUCK. SHUDDER. PUKE.

Top of my list of "Most-Hated Insects" has to be the parktown prawn and the cockroach (in combined first place!). Coming in at close second is the spider. Any type. Big, small, colourful, hairy, whatever... Then in close third is the moth. I know - seems pretty silly. But somehow I just don't like them. I'm petrified that they'll fly into my hair, or into my mouth. Grim. Can you imagine. Eugh.

The rest all fall somewhere in between. Except the ant (not talking about the red or fire variety). The ant is pretty much stone last. I can live with them.

As much as I hate it when they're in my immediate vicinity, I just can't stand it when someone wants to kill them unnecessarily (I'm weird that way). Found a worm on my husband today. I screeched and threw the squishy thing off, but as soon as my husband put it on the ledge outside our window (on the first floor! How's the poor thing gonna survive?), I was prepared to even pick it up myself.

I'm nice that way :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I'm actually getting goosebumps just reading about the vile creatures. I'm with you on the Insect Hatred patrol. They are so, so...well, unnecessary things. My partner doesn't agree but I don't see the point of a cockroach. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Cockroaches are there to remind you about that leftover shortbread you forgot about.mrsM

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! But the moth is on top of my list for much the same reasons as you mentioned! Yuck , I hate them!

INSECTA DOC said...

I never imagined reading about Hatred Patrol against insects!! It shows how different we are. Some of us earn a living by studying insects, some eat them. Actually the parktown prawn eats slugs in our gardens preventing damagem on plants from slugs.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

I think this "hate" that we all speak of is more of a deathly fear. I know insects are good for all sorts of things - balancing the delicate ecosystem and all that - but I'm still damn scared of a parktown prawn!