Monday, 18 June 2007

I'm getting old

Went to a 21st on Saturday night. It was really great. Nice people, nice atmosphere, good food and music. I didn't really notice that I was one of the older ones until a friend mentioned that most of the people there were 21ish. I thought back to when I was 21. So naive and self-conscious. And stupid! I just cared so much about what other people said, made really bad decisions... Since I've been married I've really been able to relax, and not be so self-conscious anymore. And I'm more grounded and wiser :-)

It was only when the music started playing that I realised that I am just a little out of the music scene. I did know some of the songs, but a lot were punk rock - Blink 182, that sort of genre - which I had never heard before! And I always thought I was quite up-to-date with that type of music. But here I was amongst all these singing youngsters, not knowing how to move my lips, trying my hand (head) at head banging (which I haven't done in AGES). I felt the effects the next morning with a rather sore and stiff neck...

All in all I'm glad that I'm not 21 anymore. Those were great years, but I'm glad I've grown up since then. I feel like I know a lot more about life and love and just have a generally wider perspective. Makes me wonder what I'll say when I'm 30...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess its the kind of person you become that matters in the end and what you learned from those 21ish years!!

LT said...

I feel ya,

I see this young wives around here, I just feel older and older everyday.

The great thing is that our experiences allow us to just shake our heads at the mistakes they are making, knowing what the outcome will be.