Wednesday, 05 September 2007

Social phobia 2

Here's another nail in my introvert- and antisocial-proving coffin.

When I go to the hairdresser, I really hope for someone who either talks a hell of a lot and doesn't ask me anything, or for someone who just shuts up and does my hair. I really can't stand it when hairdressers are all fakely interested in me for 30 minutes. I'd actually rather have silence. It won't even be awkward. He/she is, after all, rather busy with my hair, and I'd prefer their undivided attention to the task at hand.

I've had hairdressers commenting on the thickness of my hair ("You have really thin and delicate hair!"); the quality ("It's really knotting at the bottom here, there are split-ends, you should really cut your hair more often!"); and I've even had hairdressers reprimanding me for dyeing it. I mean, I know it's not good for your hair to dye it, but do you have to speak to me like a little child while other customers are sitting around waiting (and staring)? Arg.

I know small-talk has its place, but I find it so tedious when it's with someone you'll probably never see again. Does he/she really want to know what I do for a living, or where I come from? They're really just talking to seem polite. Maybe it's rude, but I refrain from small-talk with hairdressers, dentists and the like. Unless there is a future for this friendship, it's frankly just a waste of my few and precious extrovert genes.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

MAN! I hate it when they tell you about your own hair. That is soooo annoying. Fortunately my trusty hairdresser person doesn't talk much, I know her daughter's name and ask how she is and then that's that. She's happy and my mind can wander off to somewhere else.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

*Gnome longs for a trusty hairdresser person*

TBHanks said...

Just give them "The Look". The disinterested yet friendly one where you're busy with something else. Alternately, take a book along; nothing says "I don't want to talk" like the turning of pages...

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Hehe. Good idea Toby :-)

LT said...

I feel your pain!!!!

Like TB said, just do the look, it works for me every time... or just take a book or a magazine and look completely engrossed!!