Wednesday, 12 September 2007

Blessings

I consider myself a positive person. Someone that doesn't complain (much) - especially not about trivial things. I complain about big things - crime, the country, orphans, and injustices. Occasionally I will complain about money, and about how purposeless I feel at times, but generally I manage to deal with these things effectively and come out with a positive frame of mind. I really think that we are fortunate, my husband and I. Even though he doesn't always agree. We have a nice* place to stay, always have food on the table, have a car to drive, a job to go to, friends to visit, and sometimes even have enough to go out to dinner. Best of all, I have the best husband in the world. And he has the best wife**.

In short, I think we are quite blessed.

Recently, however, it seems as though blessings have just been showered on us. I didn't actually realise it until today. And I am so very grateful. As if the DVD player wasn't enough blessing for one month, my husband received a bunch of (brand new) theology and philosophy books for free. I now suddenly have a clear idea of what I want to do with my immediate future (and this has really given me purpose again). The finances that were needed for this little venture have just presented themselves effortlessly (well, thanks to wonderful family members that phoned around the whole world for me without any complaints), even leaving enough to fix the car (which we have been waiting to do for AGES). Not only that, but careful saving over the last few months has left us with a little bit extra to spoil ourselves with. Then the wonderful visit with my friend from England was an unexpected bonus. And yesterday I came to a conclusion about my friendships that has really made me feel free and unburdened. And today a friend made me a selfless and amazing offer that I will graciously accept. I am looking forward to a Girl's Night on the weekend, and a visit from my family the week after. And this week our manager has given us an extra half an hour lunch every day.

I find it is SO much easier to give somebody a gift, or bless somebody, than to accept a gift or a blessing from someone. I am so grateful to everyone who has blessed us in the past few weeks. I sometimes feel like we don't deserve all of this. I am finding my thank yous an inadequate compensation for what you have given us.

Thank you, God, for putting these wonderful people in our lives.

*Sometimes debatable (with so much noise from the birds, frogs, crickets, loud kids and students seeming to come together in this hub of activity that is our home), yet still a roof over our heads.
**His words, I promise.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gnome, you and your husband are SO incredibly deserving of all the blessings you've received lately. Im very very very very very very happy for you.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

:-) Thank you very much Mrs M.