Friday, 14 September 2007

Fuming

I guess I should have expected a curve ball. It's come in the form of another stock take.

What?

Yip. You read right. We did a MAJOR stock take just 2 weeks ago (1 September). But now our company was sold to someone else, and we have to do another stock take. Not even sure why. They're not even telling us. This means we have to do the whole spiel again. Pre-count (TEDIOUS to say the least), scanning every single item in the store, and then checking for variances. This takes a whole day. In itself it is just ridiculous to do another stock take when one was done just mere weeks previously.

What really gets my goat is that the stock take falls directly during the time that my mom, sister and aunt (from Germany!) are visiting. This is the first "holiday" (it's not even that, just a few days off with work in between) that I have taken this whole year. The Saturday in question is the day that my family is leaving and rightfully my off Saturday. I have taken the Friday off and was hoping for a long weekend (I nearly had that Friday taken from me this morning, but I refused). I can't even spend the last few hours with them and drive to Durban to see them off.

No one here seems to understand why I'm so upset. I'm not sure I understand it myself. I think it's just that I feel a bit violated. I will be working all but one Saturday in September. That's 4 Saturdays instead of 2. This stock take has just been thrust on us. No one cares if your family that you haven't seen in ages is visiting. No one gives a damn about your feelings. I am powerless to stop this.

I HATE feeling powerless. When I feel powerless I always have to do something that helps me take my power back - like cleaning the house (guess what I did last night...) - I have power over what it looks like - or blogging - I can say what I like - rant on and on about how I am just one of a lot of employees that are pawns for the rich (helping them get richer).

Sigh.

Wow. I really do feel better.

2 comments:

SheBee said...

Oh shame, Gnome. That really is sucky!

Here's to the 4th Saturday going quickly and one of your mean bosses tripping over his big toe!

St John's/Bethlehem said...

I really hope some of them trip. They're really quite large too, so they'll probably break something in the process... Hihi.
*Somehow meanness doesn't become Gnome*
:-(