Tuesday, 18 September 2007

Performance appraisals

Don’t you hate rating yourself? It’s performance appraisal time again. We have this system where you have to rate yourself for the different tasks you do. In itself not so bad. But what’s really crap is that your manager rates you too, and I find it pretty embarrassing when she rates me less than I rate myself! I am always so careful that I don’t give myself more than I think I deserve, but obviously not careful enough… This time around I at least know what to expect, and I definitely think I have improved since the last rating.

Do you have performance appraisals at work? How do they work and do you love/hate them?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

My (former) editor used to say you must never sell yourself short. So I don't...but if I think there are areas I can improve, I'll definitely say so. Motivate the good and average/bad marks.

LT said...

I wish I had appraisals, or just got a "noddy badge" for my awesome work!!!

Being on call 24/7 no days off... and having so many different duties on my plate...

I give me 100/100

LOL

St John's/Bethlehem said...

You totally deserve a perfect appraisal LT :-) I don't think I sell myself short - or at least I didn't on the last appraisal! But too bad manager thought I wasn't as good as I thought I was...

Unknown said...

Ag, that's only a way for you to prove you ARE worth that mark...remember, PA's are NEVER personal...they shouldn't be anyway.

LT said...

I guess they just give you a lower one, so as to give you something to aspire to?? Or work towards??

So I doubt it even meant anything.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Maybe I just got a little uptight cause it was my first PA? I now know better :-) Yeah you're right LT, it did give me something to work towards! Will definitely report back on the PA when it happens :-)

Anonymous said...

I have these things called Periodic Reviews at work. We have to do them once a month on a job that we completed during that month. I also have to rate myself and then so does my boss or training officer. They were really crap at the beginning because how on earth should I know what level I am on. Well, now its not so bad, just tedios. Lots of wasted paperwork if you ask me. Save the poor trees. :-)

St John's/Bethlehem said...

I think performance appraisals are valuable in theory. Once a month is a little too much though I think.