Thursday, 31 May 2007

The name game

Firstly I'd like to wish my mom a very very very happy birthday for today! I hope you had a wonderful day, mom. Enjoy your new blender :-)

When I got married I was under the impression that my troubles with my surname were over. I would automatically spell my surname the second it left my mouth. As my maiden surname is of German origin, often people would put an umlaut on every possible vowel. Not to mention the wide variety of ways in which my surname was pronounced. The minute I said those vows I believed these woes to be over. My new surname is rather English, only one syllable and pretty common.

When I reserved a table for my husband's birthday at a restaurant over the phone, I didn't dream there would be a problem with our surname. I said it 3 times, slowly. The guy on the other end said: spell it. OK. So I spelt it slowly. Even saying things like S for Sugar, T for Tree and E for Emma etc. I was shocked to see what had come out on the other end when we arrived at the restaurant. This was like broken telephone! I couldn't believe that the guy on the other end even thought a surname like that could exist. It looked like a bunch of letters thrown together haphazardly.

SROSP

I was just glad we got a table in the end.

No comments: