Tuesday, 29 May 2007

Excitement

Remember how excited you used to get before your birthday or Christmas? Somehow that novelty seems to wear off as you get older...

In our home on our birthdays we used to open presents before we went to school in the mornings. You'd wait expectantly in your room until a family member would fetch you from your room, and lead you, with your eyes closed, to the birthday table. As you opened your eyes you would drink in a table full of presents and a delicious cake with a number of lit candles reflecting your new age.

My parents would read some passages from the Bible, sing a song and pray. I remember, when I was younger, wishing this could all go a little faster. I would peak at the table during the prayer, sizing up the gifts, trying to imagine what was in them. Could it be that barbie that I had wanted so badly?

I guess as you get older you know what to expect, thus deminishing the excitement. The chance that that square-looking thing on the table is that CD you wanted, is probably about 100%.

That's why I am finding it rather curious that both my husband and I are so excited for his birthday tomorrow. I am excited because I can't wait to see his face when he opens his gift, and when he sees what I've planned for him.

And he is in an oddly excellent mood today, considering all the stress that he's under. But, he told me, it's not that much the gift that he's excited about, but the fact that he is so special to me that I would make this much of an effort to make his day as special as possible. In short, I think he's a little giddy because he feels so loved.

And I'm giddy because he's giddy, and that just makes me love him even more.

No comments: