Tuesday, 08 May 2007

Hamster in a wheel

We had a hamster once. The poor thing got suddenly paralysed when we were giving it its weekly free run in the bathroom. We were horried to see his two little back legs suddenly dragging behind him.. Poor Fluffy died shortly afterwards. Which makes me wonder: would he have been better off in his little hamster wheel?

I feel like a hamster in a wheel today. Just going through the motions. I get up every morning, eat my 3 pieces of fruit, go to work, come home for lunch, go back to work, come home, go for a run with my husband, cook, watch some TV and then sleep. Is this what it's like to have a career? I probably shouldn't be complaining. At least I have a job. And a wonderful husband! I'm not even sure that I am complaining. Maybe, after 5 years of studying - i.e. irregular schedules, sleeping late, different assignments and classes every week, 3 months of holidays a year etc - I am just trying to adjust to this new lifestyle.

Life is what you make of it, right? Maybe I should change my perception of my hamster wheel. It is safe and comfortable in my wheel, and good practice for when I venture out of it one day. Yes. I am happy in my wheel for now. Maybe venturing out of it when I shouldn't could put me in the same predicament as Fluffy was in on that fateful day.

SIGH

I guess in the end I should just be honest with myself and admit that this is an issue of purpose. No matter how much I try to put on my fushe pink coloured glasses, the fact of the matter is that I am, at the moment, purposeless. I pray often for God to reveal His purpose to me. Maybe His purpose for me is, at this point, to be right here where I am. Right here in my little hamster wheel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A hamser wheel is comfortable and relaxing but it becomes monotones and dull after a while.

On the other hand: Too much adventure, or rather too little routine, can eventually cause you to crash.

Its a difficult game of ballancing "comfort" and adventure.