Monday, 14 May 2007

Freedom of speech?

I guess it's called freedom of speech.

It really irritates me though that anything negative/critical/"realistic" (as they would argue) about churches and religion seems to take precedence over anything positive about church in the media. Imagine we would have reports about miracles in papers and in the news. I heard a testimony of a parent in church on Sunday about how their little toddler literally drowned, I mean, she was clinically dead, and they managed to resuscitate her. She survived without ANY brain damage what so ever. What a miracle! I guess the media reports on "actual happenings" not "speculation" such as God and miracles. Yet, without hesitation, they are eager to print articles such as "Every man and his God" by Lin Sampson in the Sunday Times Lifestyle section.

I am not member of a Charismatic denomination, yet found this article very unfair. Of course, you do get Charismatic Christians and churches that are over the top, some are even frauds. We've all heard the stories. Nearly everyone has encountered a bad Christian along the way - whether it be from a Charismatic or a Traditional background. But the majority of Charismatic Christians are genuine, with genuine relationships with God, wanting to do God's work, and wanting to make the world a better place. I get the feeling that Lin Sampson didn't write this story with an open mind, but went into this with a pre-conception and prejudice about these churches.

I suspect that some members from traditional churches might be quite pleased with this article: "finally someone who sees them for who they really are". (Charismatic churches aren't innocent of this either - I've heard many stories about accusations made by Charismatic churches about traditionals). All this fighting amongst churches just gives Christians a bad name. I believe we have different churches because we have different needs. Some enjoy and need the tradition, others feel at home with the more charismatic way. Some, like me, enjoy and need both. Bottom line is, we all worship and love the same God, we all believe His Son died for us on the cross, we all experience God and the Holy Spirit, but in different ways.

Why is it so hard for Lin Sampson, and indeed for a lot of others, to believe? To believe that God works and that God performs miracles? Are they scared? Scared they won't be able to control their own lives? Scared that this is all a big hoax? Scared that they might get disappointed? I am not saying that I don't respect people who are not Christian. I have many friends who are not. I respect their opinions and will never force my beliefs down their throat.

But I also expect a respect and understanding in return. I guess for Lin Sampson it was a lot easier to use her head to criticise Charismatic churches, than to use her heart to try and understand.

No comments: