Thursday, 22 November 2007

Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving. In the States anyway. I think it’s a great day though – a time to reflect on what we are thankful for. And to eat loads and loads of yummy food and not feel bad. But before we get to that, here are some interesting links:

Whew. Thanks to Toby for an excellent discussion on religion. Check it out here.

Then I’ve been meaning (for weeks) to help Louisa out. Instead of writing a post about it myself, here is the link to Louisa’s blog – check it out!

My American friend tells me that at Thanksgiving lunch, everyone gets a chance to say one or 2 things that they are thankful for that happened in the last year. Right now I can think of A LOT more than a couple, but here are the most significant ones:

I’m really thankful that I have a job. I know I complain often about it, but I really do appreciate that I can earn an honest living*.

I am so incredibly thankful that I got married this year. This has not been an easy year for my husband and I, but it has been super blessed because we’ve had each other. We have grown so much closer in these few months of marriage. I understand him loads better now. Not only him, but I understand myself so much better now too.

I am thankful for the all the experiences this year has thrown at me because it has brought me closer to God. Through the struggles, through my friends, through our YA group, through worship team at church, through colleagues… It just seems that during this whole year, all roads lead to God.

I think it’s of great value to take a minute and just reflect on those things that happened to you in the last year that you are thankful for.


Happy Thanksgiving!

*Plus heard yesterday that the new company is coughing up for the medical aid! They will pay the outstanding difference, so all in all there will be no difference in what I take home at the end of the month. A real relief. Even though after worrying for a few days I gave that up and decided to just trust that everything would be OK. And it was. Yay!

1 comment:

Louisa said...

Aaaaw thanks for the help Gnome! :-)

I like the idea of thanks giving, but I have to admit the whole event kind of snuck up on me and now I have to scamper off to go do a post on this as well, or at least see if I can sneak it into my next one somehow?