Tuesday, 06 November 2007

Personality test

Have you ever had your personality mapped out on a grid? It all seems so simple when you look at that line - rising and falling according to your different traits... Your personality a bunch of peaks and troughs.

I did the test about a year ago - it was part of our marriage prep. But since pastors are very busy people, we only received the results last night. I was rather surprised at some it... Instead of the calm, tranquil and relaxed person I thought I was, the test reflected that (at the time of the test), I was rather nervous and anxious. Perhaps the stress of organising a wedding was getting to me? Or the worry of what I was going to do with my life after the wedding; the weight of having to be the bread-winner without the surety of a stable job...?

Another surprising trend was the high score I got on the depressive scale. I thought I was much more optimistic than the threatening line suggests. Perhaps this was due to the same reasons as mentioned above?

The rest was rather predictable. And pleasant. Except the submissive scale. Yes. News flash. I am very submissive. According to my personality trait test from last year that is. My husband was rather quick to point out that I am most definitely not submissive with him. But I know this is something that I have to work on. I am sometimes a bit of a push over. And a people pleaser. I don't say no as much as I should. And I often don't have the courage to tell my closest friends how I really feel. Yay for blogs for helping me express myself without having to do it face to face.

But I do think I have changed in the past year. A lot. I've been forced to be more assertive. I have to phone people to tell them to pay their accounts for crying out loud. And I got married. Marriage tests you, and stretches you and brings out the best and the worst in you. Marriage is the biggest life lesson, second only to having children (I assume).

It's funny... I think a year ago I would have probably taken this test very seriously. Now I kind of take from it what is useful to me. I see it more like a snap shot of how I felt that day, not a condemnation of all that I should improve. I mean, of course you can always improve, but somehow I seem to be at peace with who I am at the moment. Faults and all.

Mmh. It feels really good to say that.

No comments: