Wednesday, 21 November 2007

Survivor

Go Yul!

I was really pleased when Yul Kwon won Survivor Cook Islands on last night’s show. Even though it’s like such old news for the rest of the world, South Africa finally got to see the 13th season. I didn’t follow this one as much as I did the seasons before that. It’s somehow lost its novelty and appeal for me a little bit. I only like to see the last few episodes to see who wins the million.

But I LOOOVE the reunion show. We’ll get back to that in a sec.

Some people just aren’t that into Survivor because people lie and cheat and back stab and fight and all that jazz. I’m by no means an advocate for lying and backstabbing, but all’s fair within the context of the game. It’s really just strategy. You can’t be on Survivor and expect to go through the whole thing without the slightest untruth ever crossing your lips. It is a game, after all, not real life, and one where the prize is a rather substantial amount of money. I don’t blame them in the least for being a tad bit morally challenged and selfish. The same goes for those watching. Don’t expect a show reflecting impeccable values. It’s about outplaying, outlasting and outwitting the rest. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

So back to the 13th season, Cook Islands. What I really liked about this season was the friendship between the Aitu 4 (Yul, Becky, Ozzy & Sundra). They really were the underdogs and just rose beautifully above the rest to become the final 4. It is rather uncharacteristic for Survivor to breed an alliance of such a nature within the game – I mean, one that lasts as long as this one did, and exists between a number of people. Alliances usually break apart when the million is within reach. But even when Sundra was outlasted by Becky in the fire making challenge, there just no animosity between them.

I think what draws me to this show and especially the reunion show is the tangible bond that is formed between all the people on the show. Regardless of whether you had an alliance with anyone (or no one), were voted out first, or were the antagonist of the show, you share a common experience with the rest. Being marooned on an island with 19 other people, forced to survive and compete against each other… That is an experience that only those few people can share with you. Only they can understand what it was like; only they can laugh at the personal jokes you shared during that time; only they can make you feel like you belonged there somehow.

When I was in Germany after school I took part in 4 month course with a bunch of other people. We did everything together. We lived in the same building, ate the same food, went to the same classes, went to the same parties, saw each other from morning til night. When I had to leave that place I cried harder than I ever had before. It was such an amazing experience to share the same circumstances with people. We had so many personal jokes, and just a common understanding about things. On the verge of leaving I realised the tragedy of it all: this was the last time we would be together like this. Things would never ever be the same again – even if we would see each other again, it would be in a different context…

When I watch the Survivor reunion show I get this feeling again – this hint of the bond that they share(d), and somehow I long for that. I long for a community.

No comments: