Monday, 19 November 2007

The Christmas Party

My husband and I approached the whole Christmas party thing without expecting much. I wore my jeans and a smartish top, and decided last minute to apply a thin layer of makeup. We arrived to a table sprinkled with Christmas crackers and sweeties and other goodies. And to the news that the restaurant we were supposed to go to was full (turned out to be a matric dance), so we were relocated another. Which wasn't bad - had a great view, comfy chairs... Nonetheless, due to this "inconvenience" my colleague's husband managed to get us a good deal (and all)*. Instead of the simple 2 course meal (starters and main) we had settled for, we were going to get all that PLUS dessert and drinks (beer, champers, wine) on the house.

After the initial pleasantries, the beginning minutes were a bit awkward. You know how you're trying to size up everyone's partners... And nobody really knows what to talk about. And you don't want to be the idiot who talks about work. There were a few tense silent moments... But I tell you, as soon as the starters came, and the wine and beer started flowing things got a little... more relaxed.

A lot more.

The food was just magnificent. Even though we couldn't pronounce what we were eating (vindaloo, jangari, paneer, poppadoms etc etc), and mostly had to wave around wildly to have the various dishes passed around to us, the unique and exotic flavours of this Indian cuisine were just so delicious. I completely overindulged.

As for the company and conversation, things just got better and better. Towards the end of the evening we were laughing non-stop. It was so bad at some stage that it felt like I had done 500 sit-ups, and my jaw was aching worse than it had on our wedding day. Granted, as time wore on (and the wine flowed), so the conversation seemed to dip lower and lower below the belt...

I can't remember when last I laughed so much, and when last I had so much fun with a bunch of people that really accept me. Most of the today was spent reminiscing about memorable moments, good food, and the hilariousness of it all.

*Indians always know how to get a deal.

No comments: