Wednesday, 28 November 2007

Mrs M is my hero

I’ve had such a magnificent day today. My husband has pulled out ALL the stops to make my day unforgettable. Not only did he arrange a surprise birthday party for me on the weekend (without me knowing about it! Which is RARE – I have a radar of note), but he got up at 4:30 this morning to prepare a delectable dip for an array of exotic fruits (cherries, strawberries, kiwis, grapes etc) for breakfast. He decorated the house with balloons and got me the most amazing gifts. A good book, a gift voucher for a reflexology treatment at a spa place, a new pair of running shorts etc etc. All of them were thoughtfully selected as only my husband can.

Then at work I was sung to and had a peppermint cream cake bought for me. And I got lovely gifts from my colleagues! Not to mention the numerous SMSes and Facebook messages.

I went home for lunch excited as to what delicacy my wonderful husband was whipping up. He handed me a Fast Mail envelope on the way to the flat. I saw it was Mrs M’s handwriting. I was really touched that she had gone to the effort of writing me a nice card. I carefully opened the pink envelope and studied the cute picture on the front of the birthday card. The card felt fat, as if she had put something extra into the card. I opened it up and there it was. After waiting for 7 months, sending people and going back to the wretched place over and over, trying in vain to phone them over and over, and literally having to put my life on hold, I was finally holding it in my hand. My green ID document with my married name.

I SCREAMED!

Literally screamed. My husband was shocked at my outburst, people were staring… But I didn’t care. Mrs M. You are my hero today. I just had no idea. I thought I would be waiting at least another few weeks. I just can’t believe I have that thing in my hands at last.

Mrs M – THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any better, you trumped it. I love you!! This has been the best birthday of my entire LIFE!

4 comments:

LT said...

What a wonderful birthday surprise!!

Anonymous said...

I think that's just brilliant - getting your ID on your birthday. Especially in light of the long wait that you've had. Brilliant. Am very happy for you.

Unknown said...

agh, Im sommer getting goosebumps here man...I hope you had a wonderful day, Gnome...that's all I hoped for.

Unknown said...

I really wish I could've seen your face for this. You know that it was actually our dear friend Drew's handwriting on the front...he was with me at the post office, and I asked him to write on the front so you couldn't tell so there went that idea!

Then again, I guess the return address gave it away too. *seriously dumb moment*

Like I said over the phone, you know I would've written you a thesis any day, but after just having finished REwriting one (for examination) I was kinda through and I wanted to do something v special for you.

And I think a part of me also just wanted to put GOODNESS out there, so that it may be returned to me. ANd it was. On the VERY SAME DAY!

So happy birthday again sweetheart. Sounds like you had a glorious day! Love always, MRS M