Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Flying high

Flying used to be a pretty novel and exciting exercise. But with the inception of low cost airlines like Kulula, 1time and Mango it's become pretty run of the mill. So normal, in fact, that I find it rather boring and just a means to an end. I even have a list of things that irk me about flying.

1.) When people push and shove to board the plane. Guys, you have a RESERVED seat. Believe it or not, you have a space in this plane. YOU WILL NOT BE LEFT BEHIND.

2.) When you have asked for a window seat, and some idiot has decided that he deserves to sit at the window even though he checked in after you, and you actually deserve the window seat, but you're too nice to make a fuss over a view that you only indulge in at take off and landing anyway.

3.) The same dude that stole your window seat wants to go to the loo just after you have made yourself comfortable. When flying with Mango, this means having to get up and wait in the aisle for the dude to finish his business. So annoying.

4.) That there are still people out there who don't switch off their electronic devices during the flight. People, this could interfere with the electronic equipment of the plane. Obviously they don't get that this might make us crash. Crash = dead. Hello?! Priorities people.

5.) I can't imagine that there are still people that don't know how to fasten their seat belts. Even if you're not a seasoned flier, it's really not that higher grade. Click. And lift buckle to undo. If you have a problem, call the flight attendant. If you managed to book your flight online, the seat belt should be child's play.

6.) The fact that people unfasten their seat belts BEFORE the seat belt sign has been switched off and the aircraft has come to a complete standstill. Surely they say these things for your safety? Either way, it irks me that people just don't LISTEN.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hehehehehehe, I've had to sit next to a VERY fussy eater who kept sending her food back. That was BA, Still GEEZIZ, I mean BA is not the Ritz.

Anonymous said...

Great post (I'm going to put a link to it in our weekly newsletter).

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Haha. That's funny Mrs M. I'm so glad I haven't sat next to anyone that's needed to hurl before...
Thanks SA Flights :)

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't have to sit next to a wailing baby and her mom who decides to change her right there...

Unknown said...

EW!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOBY, EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Oh no WAYS. Right there?! I hope there wasn't a number 2 in the nappy. *Shudder*

Anonymous said...

Oh yes my friends. Oh. Yes. You don't even want me to get started on that whole issue...
I've had many a flying bad moment:
http://tbhanks.wordpress.com/2007/05/07/shes-back/
http://tbhanks.wordpress.com/2007/04/05/flying-high/
http://tbhanks.wordpress.com/2007/09/18/and-speaking-of-airports%e2%80%a6/

Need I say more?