Wednesday, 17 October 2007

First impressions

I often wonder how people perceive me. Like, on a first meeting. What do they think of me? Do they think I am pretty? Do they think I am intelligent? Do they think I am shy? Or funny? Or maybe they think I have a really strange nose, or curly hair. [Maybe they're too busy trying to make an impression themselves that they don't really give that much thought to me in the first place] Man. I would love to get into somebody else's head to see what they think of me at first meeting. I would be fascinated to see how right or terribly wrong they are.

My husband was saying to me last night how he never would have dreamed that I would turn out the way I am (that sounds confusing...). When he first met me he thought I was this shy, clever, decent girl. I mean, I am those things... But I can also be boisterous, loud, and believe it or it, I fart and burp quite regularly (and rather enjoy doing so too).

I wonder what people that happen to stumble upon this blog think of Gnome? How much of the real me comes through in my blog? To be entirely honest, I don't let it all hang out on the blog (like some fellow bloggers). I do like to keep some sort of distance. But nonetheless, I write from the heart. I wonder how much of my real heart is visible to the stranger out there.

I think what I am trying to get at is that I actually really hope that all my insecurities don't show in face-to-face first impressions, and that the real me shines through all the grimy and tedious small talk. I hope that I seem like a person who's got it all together. Someone who is a little shy, but not completely socially disabled. I hope it shows that I love God, believe in Jesus, and in love, and that I have a good heart. I hope it shows that I always try to be as non-judgemental and accepting as possible. I hope it shows that I am (overall) a happy and positive person. I hope it shows that I can be trusted...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're not going to expect me to respond to any of these are you?
Cos, Im not a stranger and all those things in the last paragraph have a "check"tick next to it, from me.

St John's/Bethlehem said...

Thank you Mrs M :-) You're not a stanger at all, but I appreciate all you said. X